National University of Food Technologies
68, Volodymyrska str., Kyiv, 01601, Ukraine
Tel: +38 (044) 287-96-93,
Fax: +38 (044) 234-73-54, 289-02-12
IV Level of Accreditation
License AЕ № 636488 from 19.06.15.
Fields of Study
Photo & Video
The creation of the university is closely connected with the history of the development of sugar industry when Ukraine was its main center in the Russian Empire. Rapid growth of sugar industry required engineers and in the 1940s a number of universities introduced such disciplines as chemistry and technology on the basis of physical and mathematical faculties which enabled their graduates to work at sugar refineries.
But the growing sugar industry demanded more professionals which in its turn required the foundation of new higher education institutions.
In 1884 technical classes were opened in the comprehensive training-school operating on the Smila Sugar Refinery premises. It was the first technical educational institution in the history of the Russian Empire which trained chemical engineers and foremen for sugar production. These technical classes trained 440 specialists in the period of 1894-1917 years. The Kharkiv Technological Institute, opened in 1885, also trained engineers in sugar refinery.
In 1899 Kyiv Polytechnic Institutewas established sponsored by industrialists, representatives of commercial organizations, scientists and state institutions, including well-known sugar manufacturers M. Tereschenko and P. Brodski. Its chemical and technological chair taught sugar, starch, glucose and fermentation technologies. Sugar faculty was set up on the basis of this chair in 1929.
According to the government regulation of the USSR Supreme Soviet on the formation of industry-oriented higher education institutions№1240 of 17 April 1930, the Kyiv Institute of Sugar Refinery (KISR) was established on the basis of sugar refinery faculties of Kyiv Polytechnic Institute, Kamenets-Podilski and Smilianski Institute of Sugar Industry. The institute had chemical (sugar refinery), mechanical engineering (equipment for sugar refineries) and economics faculties.
In 1931-1935 the KISR incorporated the chairs of sugar production of Kharkiv and Leningrad Technological Institutes, Kyiv Confectionary and Fermentation Institute, the mechanical engineering faculty of Voronezh Chemical and Technological Institute of Food Industry, the faculty of agricultural mechanization of Bilotserkivski Agricultural Institute and the mechanical engineering faculty of Poltavski Institute of Meat Technology. V. Fremel was the first Rector of the Institute. In 1930 the institute admitted 450 students.
In 1935 on the occasion of the fifth anniversary of its foundation the institute was renamed the Kyiv Technological Institute of Food Industry named after Mikoian (KTIFI). The institute had a highly qualified teaching staff. Prominent academicians M. Boholubov, M.Ptukha, M.Kravchuk worked there.
A postgraduate course was opened in 1933 and one of the first candidates of science were G. Zmanenski, I.Litvak, V.Popov and others. F.Stefanski, also a graduate from KTIFI, headed the institute. In 1932-1941 the institute trained 2535 economists, tehnologists and mechanical engineers and was among the twenty best USSR higher education institutions.
During the hard times of WWII, the teaching staff, students and graduates of the KTIFI displayed bravery and self-sacrifice in the fight against fascist invaders and many of them lost their lives. Evacuated teachers and students continued their work and study and made important discoveries which contributed to the provision of the army and rear with foodstuffs and medications.
The KTIFI production and trainingfacilities were completely destroyed in the wartime but thanks to the state aid and collective efforts of teachers and students the institute was rebuilt in a new location. The institute significantly expanded and became one of the leading higher education institutionswhich trained specialist for all branches of agricultural and industrial complex of the UkSSR and other USSR republics. New construction was headed by Rector I. Hrytsiuk.
In the 1950s and 1960s the institute facilities were renewed, including a new institute building, students’ hostel and two dwelling houses for teaching staff. In 1964 the Institute built a new educational building, an assembly hall and a sport complex. A new laboratory building was put into operation in 1967.
New specialities were opened (industrial heat and power engineering, automation and complex mechanization of chemical and technological processes), new chairs and faculties were organized, and the training of teachers in computing had begun.
Intensive research workwas carried in the institute and its economic efficiency was up sevenfold in the 1965-1970 as compared to the previous period.
Educational work was active: institute sport contests and department parties were held; the student’s club, library and large-circulation institute newspaper “Promin’” (Ray) started to play a significant role in the life of students.
1975-1990 were the years of upsurge in the development of the KTIFI thanks to the activity of I. Hulyi, a doctor of technical sciences, academician of the Ukrainian Academy of Agrarian Sciences, who was at the head of the institute for about thirty years.
In this period, the institute premises doubled, new hostels, a sport complex and a new educational building were opened. The institute structure and concept of specialist’s training were considerably changed. New specialities were introduced, new chairs and faculties were opened, new technical schools and colleges were incorporated into the institute. Educational consulting centres and extramural faculties were established in different Ukrainian towns and cities.
Great attention was paid to the introduction of the innovative teaching methods, planning and organization the self-directed learningof students, use of the instructional technologies and educational television. The research work of students was oriented to the achievement of practical results: graduation projects included elements of scientific research and the work of the student design bureau became more active.
New approaches to the organization of research work were introduced. There was a transition from individual chair work on research issues to integrated work of several chairs in order to solve large-scale problems of national economy. It was facilitated by the formation of educational, scientific and production complexes. 293 inventors certificates were granted to the institute teachers and students in the 1970s. The fundamental research laboratory, set up in 1978-1980s., was the center of scientific research.
In 1980 the KTIFI was decorated with the Order of the Red Banner of Labour honouring its considerable services to the cause of teaching and education of qualified specialists for national economy and on the occasion of 50 year anniversary of its foundation.
In 1993 the KTIFI was granted the status of university and was renamed the Ukrainian State university of Food Technologies (USUFT).
According to the Decreeof the President of Ukraine №266/2002 of19 March2002and taking into account national and international recognition of its activity and its significant contribution to the development of national education and science the USUFT was granted the status of national university and was renamed the National University of Food Technologies (NUFT).
At present the NUFT is the only technical university in Ukraine which provides trainingof bachelors and masters in 32specialitiesand 30 specializationsfor food, meat, diary, pharmaceutical, microbiological and other branches of agroicultural and industrial complex as well as for food machine building of Ukraine. About 17thousand students study at the University at its full time and extramural faculties.The University comprises 2 Institutes of Postgraduate Education, 9 extramural faculties and 11 technical schools and colleges located in different Ukrainian towns.
National University of Food Technologies - a powerful educational complex, known and deeply respected not only in Ukraine but also abroad. It is Ukraine's only higher technical educational institution, which trains highly qualified specialists in different educational levels - from "junior specialist" to "master" - the 215 educational programs for the food, meat, dairy, pharmaceutical, perfumery and many other industries.
The history of our school - part of history. It began in 1884, when Smelyanskoye refinery opened technical classes - the first ever Empire technical school to train technicians, chemists and artists sugar production. They became the basis for the establishment of the Institute in Kiev sugar industry. He repeatedly changed its name: Kyiv Institute of Sugar Industry and Sugar Kyiv Institute of Technology (1930), Kyiv Institute of Chemical Technology Food Industry (1933), Kyiv Technological Institute of Food Industry University. AI Mikoyan (1935), Ukrainian State University of Food Technology (1993), National University of Food Technology (2002). Remained unchanged, only the collective desire at any stage of historical development of the state to prepare specialists of the highest quality, educate dedicated, persistent, creative individuals to invest all his skills, all knowledge, all life in the harmonious development of their students.
Over the years our school has greatly expanded the palette areas and specialties and became known not only in the former USSR, but also a recognized authority abroad.
National University of Food Technologies - an educational complex, which created a closed loop pre-university, stage and postgraduate training and retraining. The complex consists of 20 faculties, 2 Institute of Continuing Education and 13 technical schools and colleges that are located in different cities of Ukraine.
All in our educational sector acquire knowledge about 30,000 students and trainees. The training process involves more than 150 doctors and professors, more than 480 candidates. Among them - the 21 members of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine and branch academies, 15 laureates of the State Prize of Ukraine, 16 distinguished scientists and engineers, and educators.
The students - Scientific Library, which is located in a separate building and has over 1 mln.210 thousand copies of publications, dining and buffets, student recreational camps in the Black Sea and the Carpathian Mountains, campus, which brings together six hostels, educational and sports center with a modern swimming pool.
The university created the conditions for creative and physical development of students. There are numerous amateur art activities, art groups, sports clubs, Centre for Cultural and aesthetic education.
Tirelessly time passes. Remained in the past nearly 130 years of research, hard, inspired work, wins. Our history - history of outstanding achievements and undeniable success, and it leads to constructive action. Present - Time for full disclosure of each individual according to his vocation, talent and abilities. The National University of Food Technologies has created all conditions for such disclosure, our teachers educate the intellectual elite of society. Powerful scientific and pedagogical schools, highly qualified teaching staff, modernized training base, the widespread use of new information technologies make it possible to prepare high-quality professionals, are widely demanded in the labor market not only in Ukraine.
University staff is always at the forefront of scientific and technological progress. A clear indication of this is the recognition of his scientific achievements both in Ukraine and abroad.
Graduates recall student days as the happiest years of his life. Wherever they live (and in our institution during its existence has trained thousands of professionals in many countries of the world), which would not work, they remember their Alma Mater and proud that studied at the Kyiv food.
Rector of the University
Doctor of technical sciences,
professor Anatoliy Ukrainets
Training directions and specialties:
• Automation and computer-integrated technologies;
• Printing and publishing;
• Hotel and catering business;
• Ecology, environmental protection and conservation of nature;
• Economics of enterprise;
• Electrical engineering and electrotechnics;
• Power engineering and electrotechnical systems in agroindustrial complex;
• Energy machine engineering;
• Journalism, advertising and public relations;
• Mechanical engineering;
• Computer science;
• Machine engineering;
• International economics;
• Accounting and audit;
• Applied mechanics;
• Heat and power engineering;
• Finance and credit;
• Food industry technologies and engineering;
• Chemical engineering;
• Chemical technologies.
Tution fee at the Preparatory Department for foreign students - $ 1650.
Tution fee for the training for education qualificational levels in the following:
Bachelors - $ 2320-2650,
Masters - $ 2537-2800.
Student hostel fee (per year) - $ 775.
Tuition may change.
For tuition fee consult: (+38044) 287-9693
13 - 13