FEATURED UNIVERSITIES

IV Level of Accreditation.
License AE № 527861 from 06.01.15.

Admiral Makarov National University
of Shipbuilding

 

9, Heroiv Stalingradu ave., Mykolayiv, 54025, Ukraine

Tel.: +38 (0512) 42-48-11, Fax: +38 (0512) 42-48-11

 

e-mail: idept@nuos.edu.ua

www.idept.nuos.edu.ua   www.nuos.edu.ua

 

About University

Rector’s Greeting

Fields of Study

Photo & Video

Map

Admiral Makarov National University of Shipbuilding is a leading higher educational institution of Ukraine; it trains experts for shipbuilding and related branches of industry and for national economy. During its existence for more than 85 years the University has trained nearly 50,000 experts for the domestic and international shipbuilding industry.

Nowadays the University consists of: 9 institutes, 2 faculties, Maritime Lyceum, a branch in Kherson, departments and research advisory centers in some towns of Ukraine. More than 12,000 students study at National University of Shipbuilding in 26 specializations and 30 specialities.

The University trains skilled personnel in engineering and science – Junior Specialists, Bachelors, Specialists, Masters; it sustains the modern level of scientific research and teachers’ training, Candidates of Sciences and Doctors of Sciences.

  • HISTORY

    Admiral Makarov National University of Shipbuilding is a leading higher educational institution in Ukraine training specialists for shipbuilding and related branches of industry and national economy. In April 1901 the Russian Empire Ministry of Popular Schooling announced about “the highest injunction” to open a Secondary Mechanical Technical School in Mykolayiv starting from the 1st of July 1902. The School became a basis for the foundation of our University.

    On the 18th of September 1920 the Industrial Technical Secondary School began its classes. Such departments as Shipbuilding, Mechanics, Electrotechnical Department and Highway Engineering affiliated the School. The Mykolayiv Industrial Technical Secondary School had the status of the higher educational institution and its graduates were qualified as engineers. The course lasted 3 years. The Mykolayiv Industrial Technical Secondary School with all its institutions (such as Working Faculty, Vocational School for Working Youngsters) was located in its own buildings at the Kovalskaya str.3 (now Skorokhodov str.5). In the 1926-1927 academic year the Industrial Technical Secondary School was reorganized into the Shipbuilding Technical Secondary School with the increased apprenticeship from 3 to 4 years. During this period many laboratories of the strength of materials, chemical-analysis and heat engineering were set up and equipped. 1929 the Mykolayiv Shipbuilding Technical Secondary School was united with the Mykolayiv Evening Working Secondary School. This institution got the name Mykolayiv Machine-Building Institute. However, in 1930 after the uniting with the Shipbuilding Faculty of the Odessa Polytechnic Institute it was renamed into the Mykolayiv Shipbuilding Institute (MSI).

    Till 1941 MSI had prepared more than 1700 qualified engineers who worked in the shipbuilding and other branches of the national economy. At the beginning of the Great Patriotic War there were 94 lecturers and about 700 students in MSI. Around 500 students, lecturers and employees of the Institute were called up to the Red Army and went to the front, others were sent to build defensive constructions and gather in the crops. The evacuation of the Institute began. At first MSI was opened in Stalingrad, then in Astrakhan, further there was a resolved decision to open the Institute in Przhevalskiy, Kirghiz SSR. During the war time there were 22 departments in the Institute and about 370 young specialists graduated. On the 30th of June 1944 there was made a decision to bring back the Institute to its native town. And on the 1st of October 1944 the lessons began in MSI. And in 1995 the main works according to the five-year plan of reconstruction and development of the Institute started. 36.5 mln Karbovanets were given for it. At that time it was a great sum of money. Till the end of 1947 the main buildings of the Institute were renewed. According to the resolution passed by the government of USSR in 1949 MSI got the name of Admiral S.Y.Makarov, the native of Mykolayiv. He was a famous shipbuilding scientist, admiral-naval commander.

    1946 a postgraduate course was established on the basis of such leading departments as Ship Body Design, Shipbuilding Technology, Ship steam Turbines, Ship Stem Boilers, Ship Internal-Combustion Engines. In 1946-1950 the Institute established science relation with many leading science institutions of the country. They are CRI (Academician Krylov Central Research Institution), AS of USSR (the Academy of Sciences). Year by year the research area was broadening. In 1955 most of the lecturers (more than 80%) took part in the research scientific work of the Institute.

    On the 18th of September 1970 on the day of its fiftieth anniversary the Presidium of Supreme Council awarded MSI with the order of the “Red Labour Flag” for great services in preparing the qualified engineers and for achievements in science research development. On the 17th of May 1971 opposite the Victory Park there was the grand opening of the new Institute complex building. That day the land work for the building of the 13-storey hostel for 1295 livers started. 1971 the first planning engineers graduated. The state board of examiners qualified 50 graduates as planning engineers. 1994 according to the decision of the Ukrainian Cabinet of Ministers, MSI got the highest (fourth) level of accreditation, the status of university and the name Ukrainian State Maritime Technical University. The University has the opportunity to set up new educational and academic institutions of different types in its structure, to plan and develop exploratory and fundamental researches on its own. In the University the rector is elected on the basis of democracy – Doctor of Engineering Science, Professor G.F.Romanovskiy. Nowadays the University comprises 8 institutes, 3 departments, multilateral Prof. M.Alexandrov Maritime Lyceum, Kherson branch of NUS, the compartments and Educational and Consulting Centres in three towns of Ukraine. About 12 million students study in NUS in 26 courses and 30 specialities. The University guarantees the human resource development of high qualification: Bachelors, Specialists and Masters. There is a modern level of research study and the training of lecturers, Candidates and Doctors of Sciences. The structure of training takes into consideration the peculiarities of activity and demands of the enterprises and institutions in Southern and other regions of Ukraine. The main customers to get qualified engineers and scientists still are shipbuilding, machine-building and power system plants and other manufactures and institutions of Ukraine. At the same time there is a high level of scientific work in the University. The main its concepts cover a broad spectrum of the fundamental and applied questions. There are 68 Doctors of Sciences, Professors, 256 Candidates of Sciences and Assistant Professors. According to the structure of the University all the scientific and engineering researches were accomplished in the foreground concepts of science and technology, such as modern vessel design; maritime safety; building of unmanned submarine technical means and complexes for explorations and for technological, survey and inspecting works, including the deep-sea works; generation of the new process technologies, material welding technologies, technologies for condition and attributes research of high alloys, the development of nondestructive evaluation and diagnosis equipment; making, analyzing and developing of perspective power equipment; generation of the new ecological solid fuel energy sources and heat-accumulating complexes; certification of the polymetric systems for the metrological assurance of the on-board and coastal complexes; updating of the ship equipment and the automation systems, development of methods and means to increase an effectiveness of touch-sensitive support and information-computer complexes of the hierarchically organized controlling systems. By the decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Industrial policy and Education of Ukraine Ukrainian State Maritime Technical University (USMTU) was defined as the main institution training specialists for welding in the shipbuilding industry.

    In 1998 with the help of the German institution SLVGM-V more than 20 weld engineers were trained at European rates for shipbuilding. The longstanding work of the University scientists in the scope of the development of ship power generating systems, shipbuilding, underwater vehicle building allowed the University to get the status of the worthy one among the leading universities of the world. Taking into consideration the national and international recognition of the activity results of Admiral Makarov Ukrainian State Maritime Technical University and its weighty contribution into the development of national education and science the University got a national status and was called Admiral Makarov National University of Shipbuilding by the decree of the President of Ukraine on March 25, 2004. In the context of the world cooperation and division of labour the University continues to develop international relations among many counties (such as Germany, China, France, Holland, the USA, Iran and others). There were made a lot of joint scientific projects. Moreover our leading specialists and top students study and serve internship abroad. During the existence of the University it has trained about 40 thousand of naval architects, mechanical engineers, electrical technicians, economists, programming specialists. Our graduates work at the shipyards of Ukraine, of the countries of CIS, at different machine-building and power factories, institutions, banks and power structures. Admiral Makarov National University of Shipbuilding as one of the oldest educational institutions of our town is very popular among the present-day students.

Admiral Makarov National University of Shipbuilding is a leading higher educational institution of Ukraine; it trains experts for shipbuilding and related branches of industry and for national economy. During its existence for more than 85 years the University has trained nearly 50,000 experts for the domestic and international shipbuilding industry.

  Nowadays the University consists of: 9 institutes, 2 faculties, Maritime Lyceum, a branch in Kherson, departments and research advisory centers in some towns of Ukraine. More than 12,000 students study at National University of Shipbuilding in 26 specializations and 30 specialities.

 The University trains skilled personnel in engineering and science – Junior Specialists, Bachelors, Specialists, Masters; it sustains the modern level of scientific research and teachers’ training, Candidates of Sciences and Doctors of Sciences.

  NUS scientific and educational process is provided by 57 departments with more than 600 teachers working, 68 of which are Doctors of Sciences and Professors, 256 – Candidates of Sciences and Assistant Professors. The University takes a leading place among the higher educational institutions of III-IV accreditation levels of Myckolayiv region due to the number of students, specialities, teachers with academic degrees and ranks, scientific schools and research orientations variety.

  There is an excellent research and design infrastructure in the University; its basis is defined by: scientific and expert board of the University, scientific and technical boards of different research orientations, 15 scientific schools, particularly “Research of the New Ship Nautical Qualities and Design”, “Fuel Development and Burning”, “Soldering and Welding with Pressure in Vacuum”, “Conditioning and Refrigerating Engineering”, “Perspective Energy Technologies”, “Gas-thermal Coatings”. There are 7 research laboratories and 6 scientific and technical institutes – particularly Polymeric System Metrological Certification Center, Submarine Technology Institute, Energy-Saving Institute, Environmental Safety Institute – that are well-known all over Ukraine and abroad.

    Among our graduates there are well-known scientists and shipbuilders of worldwide reputation: O.G. Arkhangorodsky (a founder of the Structural Mechanics Scientific School in MSI – a well-known abbreviation of the former name for National University of Shipbuildig, Myckolayiv Shipbuilding Institute – and of the ship longevity research for the fishing fleet of Kaliningrad), B.M. Buznik (a correspondent member of the Academy of Sciences of USSR, a well-known scientist in heat engineering), Y.Y. Voytkunsky (a well-known expert in theory of vessel and hydromechanics), A.B. Gankevych (a director of the 61 Communards Shipyard, a director of the Black Sea Shipyard, an initiator of the aerocarrier building in the Black Sea Shipyard), E.P. Yegorov (a general director of the Northern Engineering Company (a town of Severodvinsk, 1952-1972); he was ahead of building of the first soviet nuclear-powered submarine “Leninsky komsomol” (1957), and of 70 more submarines, he was said to be the main builder of the atomic fleet), V.F. Zabotin (a general director of the Industrial Shipbuilding Merger of Kherson, an initiator of modern technology and automatic welding implementation into domestic shipbuilding), S.M. Kovalyov (a design manager of the works “Rubin” (a town of St. Petersburg (former Leningrad), an outstanding builder of the soviet and Russian nuclear-powered submarines, including the most dangerous submarine “Tayfun”; he designed 91 atomic submarines), B.I. Kupensky (a design manager of the Northern Design Office (a town of St. Petersburg (former Leningrad), a design manager of the world’s brand new ships – large anti-submarine ships and an impact atomic cruiser “Kirov”), I.I. Nosenko (a people's commissar of the soviet shipbuilding; during the first year of the Great Patriotic War (1941-1945) he had organized and managed heavy industry evacuation to the East; he sustained tank industry development, managed the post-war restoration and the domestic shipbuilding development; he was buried near the Kremlin), G.L. Prosyankin (a director of an engineering company “Zvezdochka”, a director of the Northern Engineering Company (1972-1986), a director of a scientific production association “Zvezdochka” (a town of Severodvinsk), 108 atomic submarines were built under his direction), T.E. Tovstykh (a director of Leningrad Baltic Shipyard, a rector of Leningrad Shipbuilding Institute for 30 years), G.M. Chernyschov (a head and a design manager of a works “Malakhit” (Leningrad), a creator of the most low-noise atomic submarine “Akula”, he designed 54 atomic submarines). This list is just a small part of all the famous graduates of the University.

 

 

Main training fields:

  • Maritime Technologies;
  •  Shipbuilding Technologies,
  •  Welding;
  • Engineering Materials Science;
  •  Computer Sciences;
  • Software Engineering;
  • Project Management;
  • Power  Mechanical Engineering;
  •  Heat Power Engineering;
  • Mechanical Engineering;
  •  Ecology and Environmental Safety;
  • Electrical Engineering and  Technologies;
  • Electrical Mechanics;
  • Electrical Devices and Systems;
  •  Instrument Engineering;
  •  Computer-Aided Engineering;
  •  System Engineering;
  •  Information Technical Security Systems;
  • Law;
  • Linguistics;
  • Philology;
  • Design;
  • Sports;
  • Economics of Enterprises;
  •  Accounting and Audit;
  • Finances and Credits;
  • Management.